Tuesday, April 12, 2016

This and That Tuesday


I never tire of driving to our nearby lake to sit awhile and gaze at the water and watch for bald eagles and other wildlife.  The redbud trees are at their peak and so beautiful this year.

BG and I picked up some fast food and ate at the lake yesterday.  The sun was low enough in the sky to cast a golden glow on the tree tops.  I kept an eye out for the eagles, but didn't see a one.  I did, however, see a new-to-me bird perched on a small tree near the water.  


It's not a sharp photo because of the distance and my shaky hands, but I got a clear enough shot to be able to look this one up and found out it's a female Belted Kingfisher.  They spend most of their time near the water and dive for fish.  And they nest in burrows that they dig into soft earthen banks close to the water.  I'm always thrilled to find a new bird! 

Our son was home for the weekend.  We played a few games of cards Sunday afternoon, and I am happy to say that my daughter and I finally won most of them...it's always a competition and the men usually beat us soundly and never let us forget it.  It was payback time!  


Daughter and her BF went out looking for morel mushrooms, but they didn't find even one.  The weather has just been too cool for them and they aren't popping up yet like they would if it was warmer.  Brett walked around our Back 6 looking for the morels, but didn't have any luck.  He took the above photo of our mighty oak tree with his phone while on his walk.  

I didn't take any photos of our food, but we had tacos for one meal, and the way I make them is to layer on each plate the browned hamburger seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning over flour tortillas and then layer lettuce, salsa, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and onions, ending with a dollop of sour cream.  Quick and easy and very yummy!

Another meal was sliced potatoes with turkey kielbasa, diced onions, and green peppers fried together in a large iron skillet and I baked canned crescent rolls.

Of course, bacon, scrambled eggs and those yummy orange-iced cinnamon rolls were breakfast fare one morning.  There were some Halos to eat, too.  I just love those! 

While the men were fishing Sunday afternoon in between the rains, I fixed lasagna, a big tossed salad and french bread.  

Dessert was my favorite quick and easy cherry cobbler.  For that you melt a stick of oleo or butter in a 9 inch square baking dish and then pour a well stirred mixture of 1 cup self-rising flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk over the melted butter.  Spoon 1 can cherry pie filling over the top of that.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.  I served mine with Lite Cool Whip.  Hey, you gotta cut calories somewhere!  By the way, if you don't have self-rising flour, you can add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt to your regular flour. 

In one of my last posts, I mentioned that I was going to go for a drive in the country.  Well, that plan didn't turn out the way I'd hoped.  When I got in my car and put on my new sunglasses, the right lens popped out.  What!!??  Yes, the new glasses that I have barely worn.  So, I just drove straight to the eye care building where I got them and also mentioned that my regular glasses already had a small scratch on the lens.  I had paid extra to have the scratch resistant coating put on them.  Hmpf.  Guess it wasn't so scratch proof after all!  Well, to make a long story short, I was not a happy camper.  I had paid over 800 dollars for these 2 pair of glasses and hadn't even had them barely a month, if that.  They did fix my sunglasses and sent for new lens which I picked up yesterday.  

Those are the new glasses in the selfie photo taken when we stayed in Branson last month.  I have no idea what makes glasses so expensive other than I have many different levels of strengths due to near-sightedness and also some astigmatism.  After picking myself up off the floor when they told me what the price would be, I was thinking I should just make a run for the door and head to WalMart to check their prices, but of course I didn't.  After the problems I've already had, I'm thinking maybe I should have!

       
I had planned to have my photos that I had made framed and hung by now, but after spending time last week cutting out templates to hang so I could see how it would look without nailing too many holes in the wall, I discovered that I'd overlooked something.  Duh!  The mats in 4 of the frames were for 4x6 photos, not 5x7's which is what I needed.  So back to the store I go and hoping they would have the right size that would go with the 8x10's.  I found them...whew!  I haven't got the new templates cut out yet, and I'm now hoping this all goes together like I envisioned.  I'm afraid that the frames which are bigger than the ones I took back might throw my plan off a bit.  I'd probably give up on the whole project except for the fact that the wall looks so bare behind the tv.  

Meanwhile, BG is still hard at work...when he has some spare time...on the wiring at The Project aka our rental house.  He said he had never seen anything like how this house was wired.  We knew the man that lived there a long time before the last couple and he was not a electrician, but as the saying goes...knew just enough to be dangerous.  Remember this is the man who put 9 outlets in one closet?  BG is pulling his hair out trying to find where all the wires go to.  And he can't afford to lose anymore hair on top.  Shhh, don't tell him I said that.  Ha!  He said that if he had it to do all over that he would have ripped all the sheetrock off the walls, it would make his job a little easier.

As for me, I'm trying to get some much needed things done here.  Things that I should have done over the winter.  But, procrastination is my middle name.  I hope to get back to visiting and posting more regularly, but if not don't think I've left the country.  All is well, it's just a busy spring.  I hope all is well in your world, too.  Take care and enjoy the spring!

xo Cheryl    

17 comments:

  1. that is how i make our tacos except i don't put onions on mine.. we love them that way.. my glasses cost 680 for the one pair, the lens by itself is almost 400. mine or progressive lens and i get crizbal which is ultra lightweight and doesn't scratch... i nearly fainted at the cost. but i justify it by saying i can't see the computer or laptop or kindle, all of which cost a bundle.. love the selfie pic of you... ouch on the wiring problems...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I love the Kingfisher and the big oak tree. The scene at the lake with the redbuds is lovely. Your selfie shot is cute. I have never made tacos at home, I love them but hubby is not a fan. That is a lot of money for eyeglasses! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the eyeglasses woes...gheesh...what kind of shoddy product is that and especially for those prices! Hopefully, they'll take good care of you from here on out.

    We love fast food picnics and, if it ever warms up around here, we need to take one. It's so peaceful by the pond or at the lake and one never knows what there will be to see. I know that I haven't seen a kingfisher before!

    Praying that the electrical troubles get sorted. It sure can be a befuddlement and take a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Cheryl. I love the photo of the trees along the river with all the beautiful blooms and also your huge old oak tree. How neat to capture the Kingfisher too! That is disappointing about your new eyeglasses! I agree that they charge way too much for them. The price is ridiculous. I had my eyes checked in March but am waiting on a cataract to ripen and have it removed before I buy new frames and lenses. That means another 6 months or more but it will save me money in the end. Take care and enjoy the spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh...you certainly must know how much I love those redbuds! Your photos are stunning...and I love the one of the big ol' oak tree! You are making me hungry, describing all of that yummy food you cooked...I make the polish sausage stir-fry like you quite often but I leave out the potatoes and many times add mushrooms...it's SO good! Your new glasses look very nice and just to let you know, my last several pair of glasses has come from Walmart. I get my eye exam at my doc's office and take my script to them. I even have a vey specialized lens on one side after my cataract surgery (a prism lens) and they have done a great job getting them right. I guess it just depends on the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, I need new glasses but you may have talked me into squinting for another year. You were not treated right. At least you had a fun time with the family.
    Nine outlets in a closet? What was he planning on doing in there? Feel for BG. Doing is one thing, undoing another's mess is all together different. Hope he is able to straighten it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the chat.When I read blog posts,I often feel like I have had a visit with one of my friends.I like the feeling.The only thing that would make it even better is to be chatting across the table instead of miles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cobbler sure sounds tasty. No reason for glasses to be so expensive. But they are. Glad you got them fixed. Procrastination is my middle name. We should start a club.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness your food you prepared for the weekend sounded so yummy! Especially that cherry cobbler! Wow, spotting a new bird...yes that is so exciting! I remember hollaring at Tom..come look...what is it?? Once it was an Oriole! ha! Now I know exactly what they look Like!! Darn...nothing is more aggravating then having issues with something new...and costly that goes bad;(

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  10. Busy is the name of the game here too! We just keep on going and "do the next thing." But it is always good to hear from our friends, so I am happy to hear from you today and to know that all is well. :)

    Love the kingfisher! I have only seen a kingfisher once, but they are fascinating birds. Glad you girls won some of the card games! ~smile~ Now I want to make some of your cherry cobbler! Maybe in the new house...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your giant oak tree--my maiden name's coat of arms symbol is a giant oak tree like yours. It looks so strong and steady! Seeing a Kingfisher is so cool! Your cherry cobbler sounds delicious--I will try it next time I have a family dinner.
    Hope you get the photos framed the way you want them, and that that rental electric problem is finally solved- We hope to get some new windows and paint our ceilings--always something to be done in a house but -summer is coming and it will be time for some fun!

    My husband and I get our glasses at Costco, and we've been happy with them over the years. Much more affordable and Costco stand behind their products and servioces with good customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cheryl! I have been busy too with not much time left for posting and visiting, but like you hope that changes soon! Love the photos, and the recipes, our middle son and wife will be visiting this month, I am looking for new recipes, so with your permission I will copy these!
    So glad you got the eyeglasses straightened out, I have been there and know what you went through! I too wonder why they are so expensive! I am so thankful that I am not having to deal with this anymore, since having the eye surgery last year!
    Thanks for the update, have a blessed day!
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great catch on the new bird. I have never seen one before.

    I knew that was an oak before I read the description. They just have a certain shape that is unique.

    All that food sound good.

    My last two pair of glasses gave me the same drop on the floor feeling! Over $500 for one pair of glasses..Supposedly lifetime no scratch lens (not coating). Believe me I will go back if I see even a hint of a scratch! Your price is incredible!

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only ever seen a kingfisher once in my life (that I knew what it was). I'm hungry now so I have to go find something as yummy as your tacos to eat! That's awful about your glasses- they are so silly expensive these days..it's ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were talking about glasses being expensive... WELL--have you been to a Dentist lately???? Good Gosh ---George and I could have bought a new car for what we are paying there... GADS....

    Beautiful Kingfisher.. I've only seen them in pictures... Glad you got to see that one.

    Your meals sound delicious and easy to fix... YUM...

    It's been quite cool here lately too ---and our big trees are JUST now beginning to get a few leaves.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cheryl!

    Loved the post! Of course, I always love your photos, so beautiful!

    How fun to have your son there, nothing like family to make your day! I love the way you make tacos, and the rest of you menu sounded amazing as well, yummy, cherry cobbler, and of course, I always use lite topping as well, it only makes sense when you are having something sweet... ;0)

    I really like your glasses - and I hear you when you say how frustrating it is when you go to the eye doctor! I have been messing around with new contacts for over two months. I started going to a new eye doctor, and he put me on some different glaucoma drops, because the old ones hurt my eyes. Since he did that, my eye sight has improved so much that nothing I had works anymore - that's good, but really very frustrating at the same time, although I'm not going to complain, because I see so much better! And by the way, I love your hair!

    Good luck with your pictures, and your redo, can't wait to see both projects when they are completed!

    We are heading off for a quick trip on Monday - hopefully that will give me something to post about!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your big Oak! I heard Costco was a good place for buying glasses. I may be there one day soon. :(
    happy spring to you!!

    ReplyDelete